The first church on this site was built in the 12th century, next to Bristol bridge, from where the name Bristol originates (Brigstowe - ‘place of the bridge’). The 14th century medieval crypt, which formed part of the Old City wall, remains to this day. The current church was built in 1769 and is Grade II* listed.
From its role in setting the standard time for the town in the medieval period, to providing shelter to the people of Bristol during bombing raids that saw the main body of the church itself destroyed in 1940, to its more recent use as the tourist office and and archive for Bristol City Council, St. Nicholas has always played an important role in the city. The reopening of the church in 2018 as a centre for worship, mission and social engagement continues this legacy of being a church in the city, for the city.